Visualizzazioni totali

lunedì 7 febbraio 2011

1729 and the Gannesh mouse

Sacred?
I wanted to be walking along the canal beside The Ramanujan Institute for Advanced Mathematics
in Chennai (it's opposite to the Cheipaulk Cricket Stadium, on a road that leads to Marina Beach).
The smell mixed with numbers in the way Ramanujan used to think of them (him but not even Hardy,
who got 120 theorems from him - but not the proofs) made me want to walk there.
Walk and carry on walking. I carry the smell with me to my clean lodge.
And miss it after the shower.
There is something in the dirty vestis that make me remember worn out talits for Jewish prayers,
but covering rather lower parts of the body, and with little mediation.
I don't like holy Gannesh in its splendour, although he is much more beautiful than St Thomas or St Francis, who would maybe promptly become an elephant on his smooth devotion.
I don't like the lord Gannesh always with too much aura for a wild elephant, circumscribed like the begging and blessing elephant in the Arunachala temple.
I don't like the cult of Gannesh in buses, tuktuks, private cars even though an elephant inspires my lungs more than the virgins.
Yet, there is a picture of him where there is a mouse hanging out under his holy feet.
Just a mouse
like several who where roaming over Shiva in the temple, looking for coconut and banana left overs.
I like the smell of the mouse in the picture.
The icon is the mouse beside.
I wanted to be walking along the canal beside The Ramanujan Institute for Advanced Mathematics
in Chennai (it's opposite to the Cheipaulk Cricket Stadium, on a road that leads to Marina Beach.)

Nessun commento: